lumbung Radio is the online community radio project of documenta fifteen. It started in April 2022 and is broadcasting 24/7 during the 100 days of documenta fifteen, and hopefully also afterwards, from and to the whole planet.
It’s the result of the radio working group (consisting of the initial members Grégoire Rousseau, Malene Saalmann, Gözde Filinta, Ayşe Güleç, and Reza Afisina) that started meeting in August 2021 between Kassel, Jakarta, and Helsinki, with the aim of envisioning a collective audio practice based on principles of commoning as a shared space between inter-local nodes of the documenta fifteen ekosistem.
An open online broadcast
As an open online broadcast lumbung Radio comprises of an inter-local network of distinct radios and audio practices. It operates in no specific time zones, and streams multiple languages, music, and art. Each participating radio station depends on its own means of production, way of thinking, learning, and sharing. lumbung Radio operates as a decentralized network of nodes that uses internet without its hegemonic agency. The intention is producing an audiophonic common space built on the multiplication of the existing practices of its contributors.
The radio itself runs on open-source infrastructure and is self-hosted on a dedicated server. The program comprises of relays and original contributions by its nodes, assembled via timesharing.
lumbung Radio is coordinated by Station of Commons—an ongoing collaborative, Helsinki and Geneva based initiative on digital commoning practices by Grégoire Rousseau, Minerva Juolahti, Alain Ryckelynck, Constantinos Miltiadis, Juan Gomez, and Eddie Choo Wen Yi. Since February 2020, Station of Commons investigates the possibilities of reappropriating technology within public space. The point of departure of the research questions both centralized knowledge and data centers operated by major organizations and its underlying social implications. Station of Commons operates as an easily integrable online platform for sharing local resources.
The streaming is also available via the ruruHaus website and lumbung.space.
Current lumbung Radio collaborators are:
- RURUradio, Jakarta, Indonesia
- The Nifty Radio, Bogor, Indonesia
- Arts Collaboratory Radio, coordinated by Radio Tropiezo, Mexico-City, Mexico, lumbung artist
- Centre d’art Waza, Lubumbashi, Democratic Republic of the Congo, lumbung artist
- Radio AlHara, Bethlehem, Palestine
- LE 18, Marrakech, Marocco, lumbung artist
- Amol K Patil, lumbung artist
- Party Office b2b Fadescha , hosted by artist-curator Vidisha-Fadescha, New Delhi, India, lumbung artist
- Old Boys Network (OBN) Archive, Berlin, Germany
- Radio Rasclat, Kassel, Germany
- Freies Radio Kassel, Kassel, Germany
- Kollektiv Eigenklang, Kassel, Germany
- Cashmere Radio, Berlin, Germany
- Shared Frequencies Radio, Austin, Texas, USA
- Force inc. / mille plateaux , NON / ‘O’ /, Graz, Austria
- Radio Art Zone, Esch/Alzette, Luxembourg
ook_visitorZentrum, podcast, hosted by lumbung artist ook_
Consonni, Bilbao, Spain
Fugitive Radio, Helsinki, Finland and Berlin, Germany
Radio Nopal, Mexico-City, Mexico
Radio Ensayo, Yucatan, Mexico
- Radio Cocina Colaboratorio, Mexico-City / Oaxaca / Chiapas, Mexico
- Good Morning, I Love You, Nicosia, Cyprus
- Station of Commons invites Helsinki-based artists to release their sound archives or new material: Samuli Tanner and Heta Bilaletdin, MYÖS DJ collective, Kiilan Äänipäivät, among others to be announced.