On the occasion of KW 35 – Kassel Week of Museums from September 2 to 5, 2021, ruruHaus opens its doors and becomes a platform for local initiatives, collectives, scientists and artists. The venue will come to life through various events, including lectures, talks, music and radio broadcasts. During the four days, everybody is warmly invited to participate and jointly fill the “living room” of documenta fifteen with exciting encounters. The former department store offers space for lively exchange and serves as an experimental field for collaborations.
Participating initiatives and associations:
- Blind Spots in the Sun, a series of art interventions dealing with colonialism, collective memory and racism in Germany
- The documenta archiv with the publication project Manual for the Dying
- The documenta forum, an association for the support of the documenta idea and all institutions and objects connected with documenta
- Lost & Found Records, a record store
- Radio Rasclat, a non-profit community radio station based in Kassel
- Randfilm e.V., an association to support the fringe film and cinema culture
- The Rapid Publisher, a collective for the experimental design of magazines
- Rotopol, a publishing house for graphic storytelling pushing the boundaries of what illustration and comic art can accomplish
- Sticky Frames, a collective for animated short films
Sunday, September 5, 2021: Screening Day
Opening hours: 11 am–3 pm
ruruHaus: Open Haus with a varied program of events
11 am–12 pm
documenta forum: Screening
On the last day of KW 35 – Kassel Week of Museums, the documenta forum presents various short films on the artist Joseph Beuys.
Randfilm e.V.: Short film and introduction to Afrofuturism
Randfilm e.V. shows a short film from Zambia and introduces the topic of Afrofuturism. There will also be a live meditation session to the album Guided Explorations by RZA of the Wu-Tang Clan. The event gives a preview for the panel “Afrofutur 4000”, which will take place at the Randfilmfest from September 24 to 25, 2021, at ruruHaus.
Thursday, September 2, 2021 : 3–8 pm
Friday/Saturday, September 3/4, 2021: 3–10 pm
Sunday, September 5, 2021: 11 am–3 pm
Access to ruruHaus is possible only with proof of recovery, vaccination or current negative test, which is not older than 24 hours (3G rule).
The event takes place under consideration of currently valid hygiene guidelines. There is an obligation to cover the mouth and nose in the entire indoor area. The data of the visitors will be recorded in order to trace a possible chain of infection. The data protection regulation applies.
The program is held in English and German, many other languages are spoken and all languages are welcome.